Zucchini Fritters With Pistou
Zucchini fritters with pistou is a specialty that originated in the Southern region of France. The pistou sauce can be substituted if desired. The Zucchini fritters with pistou dish can serve up to 4 people.
Ingredients for the pistou:
- 1/2 ounce of basil leaves
- 4 garlic crushed garlic cloves
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- finely grated zest of one lemon
- 2/3 cup of olive oil
Ingredients for the fritters:
- 1 pound of grated zucchini
- 2/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, seperated
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- oil for shallow-frying
- salt and ground black pepper
How to prepare:
- Begin making the pistou by crushing basil leaves and garlic with a mortar and pestle to make a fine paste. Move the paste to a bowl and stir in the grated cheese and lemon zest. Gradually blend in the oil a little at a time, until combined. Transfer to a small serving dish afterwards.
- To make the fritters, put the grated zucchini in a strainer over a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 1 hour, then rinse thoroughly. Dry well on paper towels.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the center, then add the egg yolk and oil. Measure 5 tablespoons of water and add a little to the bowl.
- Beat the egg yolk and oil, gradually incorporating the flour and water, making a smoother batter. Season and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Stir the zucchini into the batter. Beat the egg white until stiff, then fold into the batter.
- Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan. Add spoonfuls of batter to the oil and fry for 2 minutes, until golden. Drain the fritters on paper towels and keep warm while frying the rest. Serve with the sauce.