Radicchio Artichoke and Walnut Salad
Radicchio Artichoke and Walnut Salad is a speciality dish that originates from Jerusalem. The sharp freshness of the radicchio and lemon give it a sharp taste when paired with the artichoke. The Radicchio Artichoke and Walnut Salad dish can feed up to 6 people.
- 1 large head of radicchio or 5 ounces of radicchio leaves
- 6 tablespoons of walnut pieces
- 3 tablespoons of walnut oil
- 1 1/4 pounds of Jerusalem artichokes
- pared zest and juice of 1 lemon
- coarse sea salt and ground black pepper
- flat-leaf parsley for garnish
How to prepare:
- If you’re using radicchio, cut into 8 to 10 wedges. Put the wedges or leaves in a flameproof dish. Sprinkle the walnuts on top, then spoon on the oil and season. Broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Peel the artichokes and cut up any large ones so the pieces are all roughly the same same size. Add the artichokes to a pan of boiling salted water with half the lemon juice and cook for 5-7 minutes, until tender.
Drain, and preheat the broiler to high.
- Toss the artichokes into the salad with the remaining lemon juice and the pared zest. Season with coarse salt and pepper. Broil until beginning to brown.
Serve immediately garnished with torn pieces of parsley, if desired.