Moroccan Paella recipe
This is a Moroccan version of the traditional Spanish dish is popular on the coast of Valencia. This Moroccan Paella recipe can serve a party of 6 people.
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- about 5 ounces of prepared squid
- 10 ounces of cod or baddock fillets
- 8-10 raw shelled jumbo shrimp
- 8 shelled scallops
- trimmed and halved 12 ounces of raw mussels in shells
- 1 1/3 cups of long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 1 bunch of scallions, cut into strips
- 2 small zucchini, cut into strips
- 1 cored, seeded, red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 2/3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup of canned puréed tomatoes.
- salt and ground black pepper
- sprigs of cilantro and lemon wedges for garnish
Ingredients for the marinade:
- 2 seeded red chiles
- good handful of fresh cilantro
- 2-3 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of sunflower oil
- lemon juice of 1 lemon
How to prepare:
- Begin by making the marinade. Place all the ingredients in a food processor with 1 teaspoon of salt and process until thoroughly blended.
- Skin the chicken and cut into bite-size pieces. Place these in a glass or ceramic bowl.
- Slice the squid into rings, skin the fish, if necessary, and cut into bite-size chunks. Place the fish and shellfish (apart from the mussels) in a separate glass or ceramic bowl. Divide the marinade between the fish and chicken, stir well. Cover with a plastic wrap and let marinate for about 2 hours.
- Scrub the mussels, discarding any that do not close when tapped sharply, reserve in a bowl in your refrigerator until ready to use. Place the rice in a bowl and cover with boiling water, set aside for about 30 minutes.
- Drain the chicken and fish, and reserve the marinade from each separately. Heat the oil in a wok, balti pan or paella pan and fry the chicken pieces for a few minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the scallions to the pan, fry for 1 minute and then add the zucchini and red pepper strips and fry for another 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened. Remove the chicken and then the vegetables and place on separate plates.
- Use a spatula to scrape all the marinade into the pan and cook for 1 minute. Drain the rice, add to the pan and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, puréed tomatoes and reserved chicken, season with salt and pepper and stir well.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pan with a large lid or foil and simmer very gently for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is almost tender.
- Add the reserved vegetables to the pan and place all the fish and mussels on top. Cover again with a lid or foil and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, until the fish is cooked and the mussels have opened.
- Discard any mussels that have not opened during the cooking. Serve with garnished sprigs of cilantro and lemon wedges.