Meat Dumplings With Yogurt Sauce
Meat dumplings with yogurt sauce is a Lebanese specialty covered with Shish Barak. Mint and garlic give the lamb an amazing flavor. This meat dumplings with yogurt sauce dish can feed up to 4 people.
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- 1 pound minced lamb
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh mint
- salt and ground black pepper
- mint leaves for garnish
Ingredients For The Dough:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
Ingredients For The Yogurt Sauce:
- 8 cups of yogurt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch blended with 1 tablespoon of cold water
- salt and white pepper
How to prepare:
- Start by making the dough. Combine the flour and salt and then stir in enough water to bind the dough. Knead lightly, then let stand for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes, until stoft. Add the pine nuts and walnuts and fry until golden. Stir in the meat and cook until brown. Season, then remove the pan from heat and set it aside.
- Roll out the dough thinly on a floured board. Cut into small rounds 2-2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place 1 teaspoon of the meat filling on each one, fold the pastry over and firmly press the edges together. It’s important not to over-fill the pastries or they may burst. Bring the ends together to form a handle.
- Make the yogurt sauce. Pour the yogurt into a saucepan and beat in the egg and the cornstarch mixture. Season with salt and white pepper and slowly bring to a boil, stir constantly.
Cook over low heat until the sauce thickens and then carefully drop in the dumplings. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spoon the dumplings and sauce onto warmed serving plates. Melt the butter in a small frying pan and fry the garlic until golden. Stir in the mint, cook briefly and then pour over the dumplings. Garnish with mint leaves. Serve with rice and a salad.
Meet The Author:
Hey loves! My name is Veronica and cooking is my absolute favorite thing to do! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!