Malfatti With Roasted Bell Pepper Sauce
Malfatti with roasted bell pepper sauce is a true delight for any veggie lover! This Mediterranean dish is a fan favorite and perfectly serves a party of 4 people.
Italians are known to use cheese while preparing malfatti with roasted bell pepper and served with tomato sauce.
- 1 1/4 pounds of young spinach
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of ricotta cheese
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of natural-colored dried bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- salt and ground black pepper
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 2 quartered and cored red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 14 ounce can of chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup of water
How to prepare:
- Begin by making the sauce. Broil the pepper quarters, skin side up, until they are blacken and blistered. Let cool then peel and chop. Heat the oil in a saucepan and lightly saute the onion and peppers for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and water, with salt and pepper for taste. Bring the water to a boil then simmer gently for 15 minutes. Puree in a food processor, return to the clean pan and set aside.
- Trim any thick stalks from the spinach, wash well and blanch in a pan of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, refresh under cold water and drain again. Squeeze dry and chop finely.
- Put the finely chopped onion, garlic olive oil, ricotta, eggs and bread crumbs in a bowl. Add the spinach and mix well. Stir in the flour and 1 teaspoon of salt with half of the Parmesan, then season to taste with pepper and nutmeg.
- Roll the mixture into 12 small logs and chill lightly.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Carefully drop in the malfatti in batches and cook for 5 minutes. Remove with a spatula and toss with the melted butter.
- Reheat the sauce while serving and divide it among four plates. Arrange four malfatti on each and sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan. Serve immediately!