Grilled Jumbo Shrimp With Romesco Sauce
Grilled jumbo shrimp with Romesco sauce originated from the Catalan region of Spain. Served with fish and shellfish with the main ingredients of pimento, tomatoes, garlic and almonds. This dish can feed a party of 4 people.
- 24 raw jumbo shrimp
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- flat-leaf parsley for garnish
- lemon wedges for serving
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 can of chopped pimiento
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes
- 5 tablespoons of fish stock
- 2 tablespoons of white wine
- 10 blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
How to prepare:
- To make the sauce immerse the tomatoes in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then refresh them under cold water. Peel off the skins and coarsely chop the flesh.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a pan, add the onion and three fourths of the chopped garlic and cook until soft. Add the pimiento, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, fish stock and wine, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Toast the almonds under the broiler until golden. Transfer to a blender or food processor and grind coarsely. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, the vinegar and the remaining chopped garlic and process until evenly combined. Add the tomato and pimento sauce and process until smooth. Season with salt.
- Remove the heads from the shrimp, leaving them otherwise unshelled, and, with a sharp knife, slit each one down the back and remove the dark vein. Rinse and pat dry on paper towels. Preheat the broiler. Toss the shrimp in olive oil, then spread out in the broiler pan.
Broil for 2-3 minutes on each side, until pink. Arrange on serving platter with the lemon wedges, and place the sauce in a small bowl. Serve immediately, garnished with parsley.