Chicken Eggplant Khoresh
Chicken Eggplant Khoresh is a bell pepper stew and is often served during festive occasions in Iran. The mediterranean dish comes with a zesty flavor and can feed a party of 4.
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 1 whole chicken or 4 large pieces of chicken
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 14 ounce of can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- 3 sliced eggplants
- 3 bell peppers (red, green, and yellow) seeded and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- salt and ground black pepper
How To Prepare:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole, and fry the chicken or chicken pieces on all sides for about 10 minutes or until golden all over. Add the onion and fry for 4-5 more minutes, until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the crushed garlic, chopped tomatoes and their liquid, water and seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer slowly, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil and fry the eggplant to batches until light golden. Transfer to a plate with a spatula. Add the peppers to the pan and fry for a few minutes, until slightly softened.
- Place the eggplant slices on the chicken or chicken pieces and then add the peppers. Sprinkle the lemon juice and cinnamon on top, then cover and continue cooking over low heat for about 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and spoon the eggplant and peppers around the edge. Reheat the sauce if necessary, adjust the seasoning and pour onto the chicken eggplant Khoresh. Serve with rice!
You can substitute zucchini for some or all of the eggplant.