Chicken Apricot Phyllo Pie
Chicken apricot phyllo pie is a a pie with Middle Eastern flavor. It comes with chopped chicken, apricots, bulghur, nuts and spices. This delicious dish can feed up to 6 people.
- 1/2 cup of bulghur
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 pound of chopped chicken
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup of chopped blanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/4 cup of strained plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of snipped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley
- 6 large sheets of phyllo pastry
- salt and ground black pepper chives for garnish
How to prepare:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit. Put the bulghur in a bowl with 1/2 a cup of boiling water. Soak for about 5 – 10 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a pan and gently saute the onion and chicken until pale golden.
- Stir in the apricots, almonds and bulghur and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon, allspice, yogurt, chives and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Melt the remaining butter unroll the phyllo pastry and cut into 10-inch circles. Keep the pastry circles covered with a clean, damp dish towel. to prevent drying.
- Line a 9-inch quiche pan with a removable bottom with three of the pastry circles, brushing each one with butter as you layer them. Spoon in the chicken mixture and cover with three more pastry rounds, brushed with melted butter as before.
- Crumple the remaining circles and place them on top of the pie, then brush on any remaining butter. Bake the pie for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and crisp. Serve the chicken apricot phyllo pie hot or cold. Cut into wedges and garnish with chives!